Thursday, December 07, 2006

Not My Daughter!

My daughter's first grade teacher has a card system for keeping the kids on their best behavior. If you're good, your card stays green. If you are spoken to, it changes to orange, and if you still aren't being good, you turn to red. At the end of the week, if you have been good, you get two treats from the treasure box. If you're card was flipped, you get nothing.

So we always hear the reports of who got their card flipped. And she always tells us as if it's the worst thing in the world. So imagine our surprise when we found out our daughter had her card flipped.

Now you have to know my girl. She's the law abiding one of the two. Would never step out of line, especially in school. But we just had that "Not my daughter!" reaction to the card being flipped.

She said "Mom, you're not going to like this...I got my card flipped."

We asked why. She said she was side talking with a boy. We aksed her what she was side talking about, and she said she didn't want to tell us, but she also had a devillish little grin on her face.

"The whoopie cushion," she said.

Our daughter was side talking about a whopie cushion. We were heartbroken, but hysterical on the inside too.

Apparently a boy had brought a whoopie cushion and showed everyone in the coat room until the teacher broke it up and sent them back to their seats. And she was so enchanted by the whoopie cushion that she had to side talk about it during lessons.

So the other day, my clever little girl asked me, as I was reading the paper, "Dad, how do you spell cushion?"

"C-U-S-H-I-O-N," I said.

I didn't bother to really think about why she was asking me.

"Um Dad? How do you spell whoopie?"

I looked up, noticed she had gotten her Christmas list off the counter, and was trying to swindle me into how to spell whoopie cushion so she could add it to her requests from Mr. S. Claus.

"I'm not going to tell you how to spell whoopie," I said, fighting back the laughter.

"Fine, I'll just ask him for it when we go to see him."

I can't wait to get to the mall.

6 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, if you were a pediatric gastroenterologist like myself, you'd be bursting-at-the-seams proud. What a great moment.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't wait for Christmas. Get one now, and put it under her chair at dinner.

Now!

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Rob Barron said...

'Side talk'? I hate to sound square, but I've never heard the term.

But the whoopi cushion thing? A riot!

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with jared- put it under her chair tomorrow

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger dadinprogress said...

Apparently side talking is when they talk at the same time as the teacher.

Santa report: Whoppee Cushion has been secured and will be left in the stocking.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger mommyof2 said...

lol!!

I think this will be great story to her kids when they are making their list:-) "you know what ur mom wanted when she was 4... :-)" precious..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home