Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Leftovers


Thanksgiving, as usual, came and went with a blur. Some notable moments and thoughts:

I Love a Parade
The Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade has always been a centerpiece of my Thanksgiving Day. As a wee lad, it was practically a race to get to Gram’s house for breakfast after church, where my cousins and I would sit in front of the TV without blinking for 3 hours taking it all in. If someone walked in front of the set, it was hell to pay. One year, I even saw it live from the southeast curb of Columbus Circle in the middle of a blizzard after church at St. Patrick’s. To this day, I am still mesmerized by the parade, and it’s not Thanksgiving if I don’t see it. But my kids can’t be bothered. They’ll watch, but they’re not glued to it like I was, and it makes me wonder what’s changed over the years. And I have to say, Meredith Vieira did a great job co-hosting her first parade. Katie who?

Traditional Food
I’m a pure Irishman on my dad’s side, German on my mom’s side, and I grew up not far from Baltimore. So you can imagine that sauerkraut is a staple in our family food traditions. We eat it hot or cold, we’re not fussy, and we love it. But my in-laws do not. Every Thanksgiving, I prepare it, spice it up with red pepper flakes and black pepper, cooking it for hours to get it good and sour. And they hate it. But, like the parade, it’s just not Thanksgiving without it.

Blessings
There were 17 of us for dinner this year, and we usually are led in prayer by my wife’s Uncle Ron. However, this year, the girls led us in a blessing Fiona picked up at preschool that has become our family blessing: “Thank You for the food we eat, Thank You for the world so sweet, Thank You for the birds that sing, Thank You, God, for everything.” When your almost 6 and 4 year olds lead 17 people in prayer it not only brings a tear to the eye, but joy to the heart. When did they get so big?

Blokus
We’re addicted to Blokus. It’s a combination of plot your move and screw your competition bliss and it’s addictive. My wife and I have been playing with my sister-in-law and her husband every time we’re all together, and it’s just plain fun. I won my first game Thanksgiving night and I won’t deny it, I felt awesome. Round after round of losing, I finally smeared them. There’s hope for a PR guy from a toy company after all. Go get Blokus and play it over and over again. Put the kids to bed, uncork a couple bottles of good red wine and screw your neighbor till you win!

Happy Feet
We decided to skip the Black Friday rush and go to the movies instead. 8 of us anxiously awaited the cutest movie of the year, first suffering through 15 minutes of previews (!) and constantly fending the girls off of the bag of Twizzlers and Kissables. The movie was cute, but was overly burdened by a need to make a children’s movie double as a politically charged activist statement about pollution and overfishing. There were a couple parts that were inappropriate and well over a child’s head. What ever happened to a normal G rated movie?

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday weekend!

6 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a big Parade Day fan, too. But lately it doesn't seem to be much fun. They cut away too often to show the lip-synced broadway performances and don't always show the floats and balloons. I guess they think we'll get bored if we watch a giant Donald Duck floating down the street.

Sounds like you had a great holiday and much to be thankful for!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I thought Meredith did a decent job. The parade is the cornerstone to our Thanksgiving as well.

Happy Feet is on our list for the weekend. Not that we couldn't just record the commercials and play those over and over. :)

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Rob Barron said...

So I visited the Blokus website... I'm no patent attorney, but the pieces look suspiciously like Tetris...

 
At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard from a friend yesterday about the politics in Happy Feet - what's the deal? Was Al Gore a penguin or a whale...

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of both the parade and sauerkraut. Sounds like you had a wonderfuly Thanksgiving. Cheers!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger dadinprogress said...

LA Daddy, I'm with you on the Broadway filler. I think it's probably more for the advertisers than anything.

Rob, yes, the pieces do look like Tetris. And I'm a Tetris fanatic, too, so perhaps that where the addiction comes in.

LOL, Creative-Type Dad. It was really bizarre in two spots -- sort of cutting to footage of rallies and prtests in Times Square and politicos arguing for and against the issues. As if Mumble the penguin had stirred a national outcry. Completely and utterly perplexing in the middle of a children's animated movie.

Metrodad, I'm glad to know I'm not the only sauerkraut fan. Wondering if you caught the parade in person or from the comfort of your city flat. Hope your day was great, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home