Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Complacency and the Sweet Surprise


My oldest daughter had her first gymnastics meet this past weekend.

She got into her sparkly suit, mom did her hair just the right way and we packed in the van and headed to the gym.

We knew there would be a lot of people there, and we knew she was one of 6 or 7 different levels that would be meeting at the same time.

Typically, my daughter doesn't like crowds. So, as we were on the way into the gym, I looked at my wife and said "You know the problem with gymnastics for Skylar is that she's not a performer and she may not be able to do this." My wife agreed.

So after the first 2 hours of parade, warm-up and bar practice, it was time for her floor routine. She had been practicing it for weeks all over the house.

We watched her on the mat with her friends as they waited and I asked my wife if she had to do it alone or if the whole group did it together. She didn't know, but another mom overheard me and said "They each have a turn to do it solo."

I looked at my wife, raised my eyebrows and whispered "Oh well. I guess we won't see a show." She smiled and nodded in agreement.

So imagine our shock when the coach asked them who wanted to go first and Skylar raised her hand. I didn't have the camera ready. My wife and I looked at one another in utter disbelief.

She gave it a go, and she did beautifully. And I'm not just saying it because she's my girl. Others were commeting throughout her routine. She was so happy, smiling the whole time, bouncing around flawlessly on the mat. In front of about 200 people.

So, what's the point? I assumed I had my daughter all figured out, and I didn't believe she was up for the challenge. She didn't hear me utter any of those words, but maybe she knew in her heart. She proved me wrong. And it's now that I realize we spend so much time caring for our kids to the point that they become little people, and like the typical adults we are, we like to sum up, classify and categorize people so we can antcipate actions and reactions. But children grow and change every day, every minute.

I don't want to cheat my kids or myself again by assuming I ever really have them figured out. It's that mystery and that possibility that makes it all exciting. And made me feel so proud of her and so ashamed of myself.

7 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huzzah! What a great feeling!

That's the best...one of those moves...I've ever seen. Congratulations!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Rob Barron said...

I'm guessing you never really figure them out. I'm just hoping I recognize them on a consistant basis.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Wow - I can't wait to have a moment like that.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. It's great that she did well. But don't worry about your reaction. I think it's all just part of being a parent. I sorta do the same thing with L.A. Toddler -- I sometimes assume she can't do something and then she surprises me and does it. I bet it has something to do with us wanting to protect them, but they're tough little suckers and don't always need our help.

And you never get used to that...

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kudos for your kid.
I face it every time I say we can't (inherit it from my f**cked up family) and she proves me wrong - "I told you we can do it Abba" and she is not even 4.

I hope you'll be more and more amazed.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger mommyof2 said...

Congratulations!

We are teaching our kids & they are teaching us lots of things too:-)

You have very nice blog.. can I add you on my blog?

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger dadinprogress said...

la daddy -- i think you hit the nail on the head. it's the transition from guardian to strongest advocate. and no, i don't think we'll ever get used to it, but at least we'll try!

mommyof2 -- thanks for your kind words. of course, feel free to link me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home