Wednesday, January 17, 2007

As if I Weren't Even There

Last weekend, I stayed in the car with the girls while Mom in Progress ran into the store to return something. The girls were playing their Leapsters in the backseat, and I was playing Bubble Breaker on my mobile phone.

A woman came out of the store, who sort of resembled my wife, and got into another car and left. My youngest said "There goes Mommy in a different car, with another Daddy." So my other daughter points to a man in the parking lot as he walked, saying "And there goes Daddy, bye Daddy."

And then what unfolded was fascinating.

Youngest (Y): "Well, I guess we don't have any parents now."
Oldest (O): "Well, now we can do whatever we want."
Y: "Yes. Like eat junk food."
O: "Right. Like lollipops and bubble gum."
Y: "And soda. And just do whatever we want."
O: "And we can jump on the couch."
Y: "Yes. And we can jump on our BEDS! And they won't tell us to stop it."
O: "And we can get our own cell phones."
Y: "Yes, and then we can call whoever we want."
O: "And we can watch SpongeBob all the time or whatever shows we want."
Y: "And we can stay up late and watch whatever we want."
O: "Cool. And we don't have to take a bath or brush our teeth."
Y: "YAY! Oooh, and we can buy all the toys we want."

And they both erupted into hysterical giggling, like all of this was the absolute ultimate wish for any child.

So I stopped my game and interjected: "Well that's all nice, but if Mommy and Daddy aren't around, how will you have any money to pay for all the things you want to eat and buy, or the phone calls you want to make?"

And my youngest said "We'll just use Nana's wallet!"

I now know two things:

1) Our children hear every word we say, they just don't listen, because clearly they know everything they are not supposed to have or do.

2) Nana is screwed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger Idaho Dad said...

Funny stuff...

I need to remind myself of what you said. The kids may not be listening, but they surely do HEAR EVERYTHING.

Sometimes I forget that. And pay the price later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home