Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Fonedic Speling iz Fune


My 6 year old is the resident scribe.

As her reading skills blossom, she's writing down everything, as if she's keeping a primitive journal (which I think is awesome -- maybe she'll be Daddy's little writer).

She writes on note pads. On mail. On Post-Its. On the shower walls with soap crayons. She types on the mini Mac, she's dying to type something on my mobile phone mail keyboard.

She writes love letters to her friends in school, little notes to Mommy and Daddy, questions like "How was the weather today?" which actually sometimes looks more like "How wuz tha wethere tudaye?" (by the way, phonetic spelling is totally awesome). But she also has been sharpening her spelling skills, and just received a 115 on her first spelling test (getting the bonus questions right, too!), following in the footsteps of her overachiever Mommy and Daddy, so on a few occasions, it's been hard to believe she wrote it on her own.



This says "Today we had treasure box today They have good things in the treasure box So much cool toys in that thing I tell you."













This is from tonight's bath, the color-coded color list: orange, yellow, blue, pink, green, magenta, black, brown.













And then there are not just the proper spellings that surprise us, but also the things our 6 year-old even knows that totally catch us off guard.

Imagine my shock and utter hysterics when my wife handed me this note the other morning that my little poet laureate left for me:



"Pes owt Homey Daddy." For those for whom phonetic reading is not the first language, that's "Peace out, Homey Daddy."

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Rob Barron said...

'Peace out, Homey Daddy'?!

That is hysterical!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home