Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Homework Blues

I read an interesting story on homework and how it's stifling a child's love of learning. I don't have children of the age where homework is cumbersome or overwhelming, but I am conflicted over some of the messages and think there is a broader context that needs to be considered before we say "down with homework."

Today's teachers are no longer just teachers. Societal changes and diagnoses have created a world where teachers are also care providers, disciplinarians, counselors, mediators and negotiators. Should a teacher serve those role? Yes. However, when I was a student, the amount of time teachers spent doing things other than teach was far less than what it is today. Behavior is out of control. An increasing number of children have learning hurdles and require special attention. Home issues create out of home issues that everyone needs to deal with.

Let's face it...life gets in the way and isn't always fair to everyone. We all have problems and things to work on, but today's classroom has become a place where everyone's issues combine and can create chaos. And in the process, we all want to chastise teachers for not being better at this, or looking out for that. And then schools are blamed for junk food in the vending machines that makes kids gain weight. And then parents complain about the reading list. And then we're not allowed to say the peldge of allegiance because it mentions "God." And now we want to suggest that kids shouldn't have to do homework? Seriously. I mean honestly, when does it stop?

When do we stop blaming everyone and everything around us that we live hectic and crazy lives? When do we accept responsibility as parents and do what generations of parents have been doing before us to be the best we can be for our kids? Homework stinks and there were plenty of times when I myself hated doing it. While I don't think any child should be overloaded with projects, I do believe it's a necessary part of the learning experience. It teaches responsibility. It fosters accountability. And for the applied, it also provides a chance for reflection and deeper understanding that can lead to stronger confidence, empowerment and accomplishment.

Perhaps instead of telling your child "Ugh, now you need to record all the books you read on this list, including title, author, publisher, etc." it could be positioned more constructively to engender some pride in accomplishment: "hey, let's keep track of what a great job you have done getting through the reading list by keeping a record of what you've finished." Then the list becomes "my accomplishments" instead of "my pain in the ass homework that I never should have been given in the first place."

It seems more and more kids are very quick to say "it's too hard...it takes too long...I can't do it." At the same time, you hear more and more parents saying "I don't have time for this...this is a ridiculous amount of work to do...I shouldn't have to teach my child math."

We need to stop modeling behavior for children that enables them to relinquish accountability for themselves and remember daily that when we decided to have children, we also decided to live a life of hard work.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DiP (yikes, bad acronym) said:

"... when we decided to have children, we also decided to live a life of hard work."

Sing it sister!

And as far as the quote below:

"I shouldn't have to teach my child math."

Well... actually, yes you should. You should constantly be teaching your children, watching them, working with them, helping them. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks of public education as more priviledge than what's owed to me, but just because we pay taxes to fund schools doesn't let parents off the hook for taking a bit of ownership in the process of raising their kids.

Great post all around. Completely agree about the role of teachers.

Jake
communityguy.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home