Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Simple Cure for the "I'm Bored!" Summer Blues

Thanks to Tom McMahon at Kidtips for asking parents and grandparents to offer some tips in his weekly column for motivating kids off the couch and away from the TV this summer!

I especially like Rebecca R.'s idea:
A list of things I can do by myself: Ask your children to list 20 or more things they can do all by themselves (reading, drawing, playing with dolls, building with LEGO bricks, etc.). Save this list and present it to them the next time they say "There's nothing to do." It reminds them of fun projects they can enjoy all by themselves.

While they may argue with mom or dad about what there is to keep them busy, they certainly won't argue with themselves, right?

2 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger pam said...

Good ideas, but I guess I favor more of the traditional approach, especially with kids over the age of 6 or so. I just say, nope, you can't watch. You've got a closet full of toys. Find something else to do.

I don't think as parents, we need to be our kids' social directors. Actually, I think it's important that they learn how to entertain themselves--and be bored sometimes.

Some of the most creative ideas can come when you're bored out of your mind.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should be forced to make those lists for ourselves as well. Its not just kids who fall into the TV trap.

It would do us all good to have a fun to-do-list as well as the one for unfinished chores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home