Friday, June 30, 2006

All We Do is Play

Is it me, or does it seem that dads sort of got the shaft in media coverage around Father's Day?

I've come across several stories where, despite the fact that it's a day to celebrate dads, we got bashed for not being as dedicated as mom, not as diligent about child chores like scheduling doctor appointments and the like.

Fredericksburg, Virginia parenting columnist Kim Baer's Father's Day story carried a subhead that said "You've come a long way, Dads. Happy Father's Day! But you still could improve."

Ms. Baer's story has me particularly vexed. Why? Apparently, Ms. Baer thinks that playing with children is not a valuable contribution to the parenting scheme.

She said:
"Dads spend most of their child-care time playing with their children. Moms still do much of the grunt work: scheduling doctor's visits, choosing preschools and arranging for baby sitters. Dads pick up the slack on the weekends, according to recent research. Fathers spend about six hours each weekend day on child care, about the same as moms, she said. But moms rule the roost during the week. Dads spend about 2 hours each weekday on child care, about a third of what moms do." She also said "Help your wife get the kids into the bath. Take over a household chore: Become the Designated Dishwasher or the King of All Laundry. Don't just play with those kids: Read to them or give them a hand with their history homework. Do some of the car-pooling. You'll do more than please your wife. The more time dads spend with their kids, the more attuned they are to their children's thoughts and feelings...Think about it. You could get the best Father's Day gift next year: a richer, more rewarding relationship with your children."

I'd argue a dad gains more insight to his child's thoughts and feelings by playing than by giving a bath. I'm not dismissing the need for dads to be involved in ALL aspects of parenting, but why is play so easily dubbed a "throw-away" contribution?

Time to play is a vital pillar of childhood. Play allows children to explore their thoughts, to role play their reality and fantasize about other worlds. And time for play is constantly under pressure from all sides. Families deprioritize free time and play time for overstuffed calendars of social gatherings, classes, errands, organized activities and sports. A recent study shows that children have less than one hour per day of free time, but they're spending up to 8 hours per day multi-tasking with electronic media.

Ms. Baer should be congratulating the dads who are spending time playing with their children, not chastizing them for what she seems to think is an empty exercise. There are lifelong lessons that can be learned through play, and children need more and better role models for carrying playfulness throughout their lives.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I'd have to say that Ms. Bauer needs to get a clue. I absolutely love when my husband plays with the boys. It gives me a break and I don't mind throwing up a load of laundry if he's keeping the boys entertained. Playing is a valuable thing - nothing beats making a child feel wanted and loved. Way to go! You've got some lucky kids to have such a caring dad.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Christina, playing is a very important part of raising a child and father's are great at it. I have always said that no one plays better than my husband and my girls agree. It gives me a break even if it is a break free of interuptions to clean the house, I will take it!

Children need their father's to be involved and active in their lives and we need to let that happen in the most natural way possible. So unless a father is naturally drawn to doing laundry, I say let them play.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I got done rolling my eyes at Ms. Bauer's article I laughed. When my girl was little I used to think I was a second class parent next to her Dad. Why? She always wanted to be with him because he played with her!
I played with her as well, but just couldn't do it nearly as well as daddy could.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly this is a bit of a chicken/egg argument... if there was more play time allocated and less scheduled activity, there'd be less need for carpooling and scheduling.

Totally agree with you re: the value of play. I recent a while back that there's a strong argument that one of the core reasons the African American community is having so trouble with violence and crime is a lack of play between fathers and sons. The point was being made that the play between father and child (specifically boys) helps to establish boundaries. Wrestling is fine, punching is not.

(I know there are other issues that also cause problem and add to the issue)

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'oh - that was Jake again... need to set up my blogger account, don't I??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home