Sunday, June 03, 2007

Tales of a Preschool Graduation

My youngest daughter graduated from preschool on Friday. I can't even begin to post right now about how it seems impossible that she's off to kindergarten next year, so I'll save that for another time and instead give you a glimpse of how my 4 year-old operates.

Here she is during the processional.

Now here she is sitting between two friends. Notice dude on the right isn't at all bored.

She then decided to take her cap off and throw it on the floor. She was the only child to remove her cap. Of course, my wife was furious and gesturing and mouthing to her to put it back on, like some crazy mime. My daughter got the death eyes and the stern tight lips several times. I quietly said, "Stop it. She's not going to put it back on if she sees you reacting like that." She simply looked at my wife and smirked and shook her head no. (and I thought it was awesome but I didn't tell my wife that.)

So, after my wife gave up and they were calling names, my daughter quickly put her cap back on, then walked over to get her diploma. I suppose she was bored and figured it would throw a little cheek, again, to mom. But mom was elated.

Sorry, my dear wife, she decided to take it off again and throw it on the floor. The only child to do so.

Again, my wife was trying to tell her to put it back on, but she refused, and walked the recessional without her cap and with her head held high. She also refused to look in our direction for a picture opportunity. ;-)

When all was said and done, she was happy to pose for pictures, just not with her cap, and was thrilled to have graduated. We gave her a flower and she beamed..."No one has ever given me a flower before! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Congratulations! You can't blame her for wanting to stand out in a crowd. My daughter just had her preschool grad. too. Half a dozen kids couldn't keep their hat on either.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger mommyof2 said...

Congrats! And lol@ the cap incident.. I can understand that because my son graduated in may (pre-k for 3years, not the real one) and he was the only one who was acting all shy, making silly faces and not singing.. I tried to do what you wife did but nope, he didn't listen:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home