Tuesday, May 16, 2006

But it Makes a Mess

I was recently in a meeting where results of in-home research on how LEGO is used in the household were revealed. One mother on video admitted “Although I realize the good that comes to my son when he builds, it just makes such a mess that I usually don’t let him bring out the Legos.” Imagine the shock and disbelief. How could a mom who knows how much creativity and learning this toy inspires say it’s just too messy?! I was gutted.

The following Saturday, I ran out to grab our standard ubercoffees while my wife showered so we could dash off to do that Saturday’s chores – get to ballet class (on time), return a video (on time), buy a birthday gift, wrap the gift, drop one girl off at the birthday party (on time), swing by a drive thru to feed our other daughter (on time), remember to pick-up from the party (on time). Working moms and dads all do the weekend chore shuffle, I’m not complaining. But we always feel crunched for time.

So it was no surprise when I got home that my oldest daughter couldn’t find her leotard and my youngest was still in her PJs, refusing to dress. So we found the leotard (oops…not washed since the last class) so girl #1 is all set…onto girl #2 who needed coaxing. As I struggled to get her dressed, my oldest daughter asked for help – she was getting all the watercolor paints, paper and cups of water out.

“Oh no you don’t. What do you think you’re doing?”

“But DADDY, I just want to paint a picture for my ballet teacher.”

“Absolutely not…we don’t have time for that! Put all of that stuff away, it makes way too much mess.”

Suddenly, I froze. I was the woman on the video – the LEGO blocker. We had 15 minutes before we had to leave, she could have finished something, but I was having none of the paints. My daughter had that shattered look. What kind of father was I?

A couple of things my wife and I have learned to do to encourage creativity, even if we’re on our way out the door:

> Suggest crayons instead of paints – they’re less mess and satisfy the creative urge.

> Send them out to the driveway with a big bucket of sidewalk chalk until it’s time to go.

>Keep sketch pads and pencils in the seat pockets of the car so they can draw on the go – or better yet, one of those Magna Doodles is even less messy and reusable.

Bottom line: let them create and worry about the mess later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home